Two Arrests

On Saturday the 16th of June 1838 The York Herald published the following article about the hunt for the murderer of Elizabeth Grimwood.


ln consequence of a letter having been received on Saturday by Mr. Carter, the coroner for Surrey, from an individual who signs himself John Walter Cavendish, stating that he was the individual who went home with Eliza Grimwood on the night of her murder, and that he was attacked by Hubbard before be left the house, Mr. Carter communicated the allegations contained in the letter to the police, and the result has been the apprehension of Hubbard, by Mr. Inspector Field.

The Inspector went to the house, in Wellington Terrace, between one and two on Monday morning, and took Hubbard away to the police station in Tower Street, Lambeth, whence he was taken to Union Hall in the afternoon, for examination before the magistrates.

An Image of Inspector Field.
Inspector Charles Frederick Field


It will be seen from the following that another individual has been apprehended for the same murder, at the west end of the town:

This (Monday) morning, at an early hour, considerable interest was excited in the neighbourhood of Jermyn-street, St. James’s, and the police station house in Vere street, Picadilly, by a report having been circulated that the Italian who is supposed to be the perpetrator of the late murder on Eliza Grimwood had been arrested at a house in Jermyn Street, yesterday morning, between three and four, attired in his Mackintosh.

During the whole of yesterday, numerous inquiries were made at the station-house whether it was the fact, which was answered in the affirmative.


This morning, the circumstance having become generally known throughout the neighbourhood, great crowds of persons assembled at an early hour, fronting the station-house in Vere-street, long before the time of removing the prisoners to Marlborough Street police-office, for the purpose of catching a glimpse of his person.

After the other prisoners had been marched off, a hackney coach drew up to the station-house door, and the prisoner immediately entered it, escorted by three constables.


The coach proceeded on to Marlborough Street, followed by an immense crowd, anxious to obtain a glimpse of him on the arrival of the coach at the police office.

The moment the coach door was opened, the prisoner endeavoured to conceal his face from view, leaped from the vehicle, and instantly entered the office.


The prisoner answers the description of the supposed murderer in every respect but refuses to give his name or address for the present.

Since his confinement from yesterday morning, he refused to hold a conversation with anyone.

It is stated that the prisoner is one of the vocal performers at the Opera House.


After a short examination, at Marlborough-street Office, on Monday afternoon, the foreigner, whose name turned out to be Ernest Tondeur, a native of Bordeaux, in France, and who is, as stated, a singer belonging to the opera establishment, was discharged from custody, there being nothing whatever to identify him with the foreigner mentioned on the Coroner’s inquest.


Hubbard was brought up before Mr. Jeremy, at Union Hall, at a late hour on Monday afternoon, and Inspector Field, and the brother of the deceased having been examined, the prisoner was remanded for further examination on Tuesday next.

Mr. Jeremy requested the clerk to make out his commitment to Horsemonger-lane Gaol without loss of time, to prevent an increase of the riot.

The Magistrate afterwards remarked to Inspector Field, that he had no doubt from the good feeling in which the letter appeared to have been written, that the writer would come forward.

Mr. Jeremy then cautioned the witnesses, and particularly the servant Fisher, upon the necessity of being in attendance on Tuesday.


Hubbard, on being taken out to the coach that conveyed him hither, and which was in waiting at the private door of the office, was again recognised and assailed by the mob with cries of  “there goes the murderer,” and the most violent execrations.

It required the greatest exertions on the part of the officers to protect him from personal violence.


Ultimately, the writer of the letter that incriminated Hubbard in Elizabeth Grimwood’s murder failed to come forward, and, at his next court appearance, Hubbard was discharged by the magistrate.